Re: A few more for Nick!

On 9/15/2011 8:40 AM, Frank Kurz wrote:
> On 13/09/2011 7:44 AM, Jim wrote:

>>> Lots of good ones there some people never learn
>>
>> Oh you guys are just ..... picky picky!
>
> The scary thing is that I don't think I'm ever going to run out of
> material. The last four verifications I've done involving modifications
> to existing systems have all turned up multiple installation errors. One
> Mircom FX-2000 panel I just completed the report on had six VI labels on
> it from four different techs all working for Mircom. Their own techs are
> incapable of identifying an incorrectly installed control! That'll be
> added to the site over the weekend.

I am more cynical than you - I believe they ARE capable of identifying
an incorrectly installed control.  They just choose not to.  Could be
laziness, could be their instructions.

This is one of the reasons I think that fire alarm inspections should be
performed by a third party.  Installers may make more of an effort  if
they know that their work will be inspected (thoroughly) by someone who,
A) knows what they are doing and B) ISN'T their buddy.

I know that the company I previously worked for frowned upon making a
service ticket for an installation error I found during an inspection
unless I could spin it so that it was billable.  If I could correct it
without taking too much time I would and call the installer later and
give him crap - a lot of it required a service tech to come out and mgmt
would give me crap for writing the finding down on the inspection form.
  All but the service supervisor - who used to say, "I'm glad you're on
our team."  Some of the things I found had been glossed over by the

I wonder if that had anything to do with my being fired for wrecking a
truck...