Re: What is the Gadget Flashing?

On Nov 16, 4:29=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 12:35=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 15, 10:26=A0pm, Jack <country...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > What is the flashing device that's connected to this DSC panel?
>
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DDUHLpf5nRcs&feature=3Drelated
>
> > > My Mother in Law is looking into replacing her panel with an Alexor
> > > panel from DSC. Will she be able to use her existing sensors? A secur=
ity
> > > dealer dropped off a few pamphlets for her to check out. I have read =
the
> > > as to whether the group recommends this panel. What's the latest word=
 on
> > > this panel?
>
> > I don't know anything about the Alexor panels except that I heard that
> > there was some kind of problem with it regarding loss of wireless
> > communication without there being any notice, which DSC denied. So
> > it's just the word of a central station who lost contact with all of
> > it's Alexo panels at the same time for a day or two, =A0against DSC who
> > said it must be something that the central station did wrong.
>
> > =A0However, if that green light is really on a GSM receiver that's
> > sitting next to your keypad, I'd really find another alarm company to
> > deal with. That device should be hidden away somewhere so it is not
> > just hanging on the wall beside a keypad. I mean come ON! =A0it's a
> > security device that if compromised by an intruder could cause the
> > system to not communicate with your central station. It should be
> > installed kind of hidden away somewhere and as high as possible in the
> > house to obtain the best communication advantage to the local towers
> > in your area. And even if it does do that being mounted beside your
> > keypad, it looks like someone just got lazy and couldn't be bothered
> > making the installation look professional to some degree. Seeing this
> > makes me wonder what ELSE ..... they didn't do =A0..... that you can't
> > see.
>
> > I'd certainly get someone else in to give you an estimate and see what
> > they say when they see the location of the transmitter.
>
> RHC: Just a side note Jim; I have several dozen of the Alexor panels
> in service now in homes where is is IMPOSSIBLE to install a
> conventional alarm, and they are proving to be decent alarms, albeit a
> bit on the expensive side. The only service issue that has come up
> (and it comes up with ALL of the panels) is the four double A
> batteries in the keypad only last about four months before needing
> changing. When I install the system, I show the client how do do this
> since it IS going to come up. Other than that I have not had the issue
> you describe with loss of communication, or for that matter, ANY other
> service related problem with them.
>
> To avoid this problem, the client can have the installer include a $20
> transformer that plugs into the keypad and an AC outlet, which makes
> the batteries in those cases only "backup" in nature.-

I don't know the details of the incident but I would suspect that it
was just a local tower issue. What was of bigger concern to the
Central station is that there was no indication that the network was
down until people started calling in that they were getting no respnse
from central station from alarm conditions.

I don't use DSC anything .... so I don't have any first hand knowledge
of this.

With regard to the keypad battery problem I'd just automatically
install the power source for the keypad and tell the customer that the
battery was only for standby power. Make a plus out of a negative.