Re: A lot of brass !

On Nov 11, 12:03=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 9:37=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Got a call this morning from an alarm company in the process of
> > putting one of my old, disconnected systems on line. He started by
> > becoming very chummy with me, asking if I remembered him. I didn't but
> > I certainly remember his company, since they unethically lock all
> > their boards, and then actually advertise on the can..."we lock all
> > our boards for your security" (yeah...right...for who's security ??)
>
> > Anyway, after a few friendly comments he proceeds to ask me for my
> > installer code. Taken aback, I asked him how long he has been in this
> > business, since anyone with more than 20 minutes experience in this
> > business knows this is something never given out willy nilly. I told
> > him to simply default the board to factory, since none of my boards
> > are ever locked. He then admits to me he doesn't know how to program
> > this make and model !!!!! His comment was, we share our installer
> > code, why don't you (this coming from a company that locks all their
> > boards....!!!!)
>
> > At this point, I bluntly told him he has no business putting a system
> > on line he knows nothing about, since without basic programming
> > knowledge, he can't be sure he even sets it up to the station
> > correctly, let alone service it later for the client. I then hung up
> > on the idiot !!
>
> > Am I mistaken, or is it getting worse out there ??? In 20 years, I've
> > never had anyone this stupid call me...
>
> Keep in mind that there are some companys that give each subscriber
> their own code. I've been successful occasionally breaking into locked
> out systems simply by using zip codes, house numbers or telephone
> numbers or combinations or those numbers in reverse order. Just did
> one a few months ago with the zip code in reverse order. I'll usually
> try various combinations for about 15 minutes or so and then just
> change out the board if I can't figure it out.
>
> If it will make you feel better I could try and find someone more
> stupid to call you.... :-) In fack I cud cal uoe if uoe want me too.
>
> Your experience reminds me of an sign I saw over someones desk years
> ago.
>
> Sex muns ago I couent evan spel injunear ...... Now I are one.

RHC: You know, in thinking about it, the only other stupid one in this
scenario is their customer. Why would they lock in to an unnecessary
long term contract at twice the price with a company known to be scum
bags in the industry, and likely end up with poor service (by
reputation) and a locked board. Even if they don't choose me from all
the information on the alarm panel, they could have done better by
going to just about ANY other small dealer around.....

Sheesh....some peoples children !!!