Re: Who's blog is this ?? --- Security related

On Jun 22, 11:00=A0am, Spellcheck Patrol <alarminst...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> For years I have heard the stories about how someone can rip it off
> the wall and kill it but have NEVER actually run across such an
> incident.

I've seen it, rare tho, if the panel is equipped with an Alarm.com
cell module they have a Smash and Grab feature, when the panel goes
into entry delay it sends a signal to Alarm.com, when disarmed it
sends another. If they don't get the 2nd signal they assume someone
compromised the panel and send a signal to the central station. Works
quite well.

> I have installed thousands of these systems and never had a complaint
> on the Lynx. The old Simon panels were flimsy, which is why we never
> used them.

The new Simon panels are flimsy too, open them up a few times and the
latch quits working, whoever designed it should be shot

> What I did witness on video back in like 1999 or 2000 was a burglar
> attempt to kill the system by smashing it with a hammer. It didn't
> work.

Wasn't someone here talking about putting 10 feet of wire in the wall
so if someone did rip the thing off the wall it would delay pulling
the wires from the panel? Guess they never heard of wire cutters...

> This is the usual "Chicken Little" rhetoric we hear whenever a new
> product is put to market.
> Most of the naysayers are guys who last touched wireless back when the
> crappy AT&T 8000 and Ademco 5700 Series were the Kings of the Wireless
> Jungle and would be triggered by police car radios.

Never seen that happen, take your word for it especially on the AT&T
crap

> My only concern with these new touch screens is durability. Will they
> hold up over the years? For that reason I prefer a traditional style
> keypad over a touch screen.

That hasn't been an issue at least in the couple of years the panel
has been out, its pretty durable.

> The home automation could turn into a nightmare if you start fiddling
> with the thermostats so prepare to become the on call HVAC guy for
> your customer too if something goes wrong with their central heat and
> air. =A0I could be wrong but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

Customers love that feature, that also hasn't been an issue however I
HOPE some of the people who install the panel do NOT try installing
thermostats

They are going to introduce a wireless bi-directional remote
touchscreen someone later this year, looks pretty killer.