Re: Replacing Radionics with Vista 20P

On 1/21/2011 2:18 AM, Christopher Glaeser wrote:
> I found the EOLRs. There is a small faceplate below the old Radionics,
> so I opened it and found a rats nest where all the wires come together.
> As best I can tell, the zones with multiple sensors are wired in
> parallel just below the panel, and the 1K EOLR is also added just below
> the panel. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of an EOLR? Isn't this really
> just a BOLR? Also, if an EOLR is at the panel for a fire zone, is this
> to CA code?
>
> Best,
> Christopher

The end of the line *could* be in the panel if the installer wired it right.

Devices wired in parallel (normally open or N.O.) can be wired using a
four conductor, two wires start at the panel, go out to each device and
return to the panel where the resistor is placed.  You can do the same
thing with series devices but the wiring is a bit more complicated.

Simple test to see if your N.O. devices are supervised is to remove one
leg of the circuit at the device.  if you get a trouble condition you're
okay.

In fact, it might be a good idea to do that to all the devices, one at a
time to see if you have circuits that are "T-Tapped".  If you do, and
can't re-run the circuits, the only way to really supervise it would be
to use addressable devices - Unless I'm mistaken, that's not something
you can do with a vista-20 (though I do like the panel - I have the
First Alert 168CPS in my own home).

Quick question - do you have fire protection other than the smoke
detectors connected to this panel?  If not, I suggest at least a few
from the hardware store while you work this through.  I know it seems
like overkill for the day (or few days - since it sound like you have
rune into a typical upgrade.takeover situation - FUBAR'd) you will be
without coverage but, as I have said before, don't leave your family
unprotected for even one night - one night is all it takes and you will
have to live with the "woulda, coulda, shoulda".