Re: Automatic fire sprinklers

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:41:32 -0800 (PST), Evan <evan.news.reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On Jan 10, 1:10 pm, "k...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
><k...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 06:23:30 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc <jamesgan...@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> >It's not as expensive as it used to be.  There is a cpvc pipe that can
>> >be used for sprinklers.  I don't think it's actually different, I
>> >think they just made it orange.  But I'm not sure.  I got 8 sprinkler
>> >heads to put in the garage I'm building out at our lake house.  Picked
>> >them up on ebay for about $5 apiece.  Idea came to me after some of
>> >our friends almost burned down their house with a garage fire.
>> >Happened while they were at home and they didn't know it until the
>> >neighbor called them.  By then flames were rolling up the outside
>> >wall.  $100k+ in damages and it barely got out of the garage into the
>> >living space above before the fire dept put it out.
>>
>> >I think you could do a whole house for a couple hundred in materials.
>> >Not sure how much additional plumber labor but I would think you could
>> >keep it under a grand total.  My grandparents house in missisppi built
>> >in the 1920's had sprinklers located in on the ceiling in front of
>> >each fireplace hearth.  Since there was a fireplace in every room it
>> >amounted to a whole house sprinkler system.
>>
>> Sounds like just more pipes to burst, particularly in a second home.  More
>> nannyism for the government.
>

>LOL...  Sounds like you think you are in an area where public safety
>budgets have not been cut yet...  It is either raise tax rates even
>more
>or start cutting even on the essential services like police and
>fire...

"Facts" stated not in evidence and completely irrelevant.

>If it takes more than 5 minutes for the fire department to respond to
>your structure after calling 911, then a properly designed sprinkler
>system will save lives as well as prevent serious damage to your
>building...

If you're not OUT OF THE HOUSE by the time the fire department can get there,
you're dead.  A sprinkler system will also cause far more damage, overall.

>Now realize that you might not become aware of a fire in your home
>if it is on another floor or in an isolated room like a garage or
>basement
>until it flashes over...

That's why we have smoke alarms.

>If you are *just* calling the fire
>department at
>that point you will have a $100k loss to deal with...

Are you stupid?  Do you know how much damage a sprinkler going off will cause?
Most of the damage in a fire, that's put out by a FD is caused by water.  If
they have to use more than 50gal of water the house is usually a write-off.

>If you are concerned about the water freezing in your sprinkler system
>there are dry sprinkler systems which keep the water out of the piping
>until a head pops and the air pressure is released opening the wet
>valve and allowing water to flow to the sprinkler heads...

...and nothing ever goes wrong.  ...goes wrong.  ...goes wrong.

>Such systems are installed everywhere in commercial buildings where
>there is a large enough overhang or covered exterior area close to the
>building which requires protection because of its use or its location
>on
>an egress path which must be protected...

Commercial buildings <> single family residences.