Re: Automatic fire sprinklers

In article <uu2ni6pd2ck0hl9983j66vipcv0skj1sqt@xxxxxxx>,
 "krw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <krw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you're not OUT OF THE HOUSE by the time the fire department can get there,
> you're dead.  A sprinkler system will also cause far more damage, overall.
Nope, according to Fire Administration and National Fire Protection
Assoc tests. Hollywood notwithstanding, sprinklers in residential
applications (nursing homes, hotels, etc.) don't all go off all at once.
It is quite often one or two heads. BIG difference from what the trucks
put on the fire. Also fires double in size every minute or so.
Flashovers can take place as little as 4-5 minutes. There has never in
the history of the US been a multiple fatality fire in a building with a
working sprinkler.

> >Now realize that you might not become aware of a fire in your home

> Are you stupid?  Do you know how much damage a sprinkler going off will
> cause?
> Most of the damage in a fire, that's put out by a FD is caused by water.  If
> they have to use more than 50gal of water the house is usually a write-off.
    Not that much. Most of the residential activations that haven't been
accelerated, you only have one or two go off. Current data from the USFA
and NFPA suggest typical damage a home suffers during a fire is reduced
by 71% when sprinklers are present and operating. Occupants in a home
with an operating fire sprinkler system have an 80% increased chance of
survival.

> >If you are concerned about the water freezing in your sprinkler system
> >there are dry sprinkler systems which keep the water out of the piping
> >until a head pops and the air pressure is released opening the wet
> >valve and allowing water to flow to the sprinkler heads...
>
> ...and nothing ever goes wrong.  ...goes wrong.  ...goes wrong.
    Very rare.

> Commercial buildings <> single family residences.

Single family residences have a lot of experience, see above.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
 ---PJ O'Rourke