Re: I don't do installs for other contractors

"nick markowitz" <nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Jan 4, 2:39 pm, "Bob La Londe" <onebike...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Had one of those ADT types call me the other day. I was polite at first
> simply telling him, "I don't do installs for other contractors." He kept
> pushing and acting insulting. I supposed I should have just hung up, but I
> cursed at him before I hung up. He called me back now trying to insult me
> and my ability to run a business. I asked him what part of "no" didn't he
> understand, told him there was no business here and he shouldn't waste his
> time, told him to have a nice day and hung up. He called back again. I
> have no idea what he had to say as I informed him he was now committing a
> crime and harassing me and hung up.
>
> I was seriously tempted to post his phone number on Craigslist and
> Backpage
> in his home area.
>
> Free Cat Removal - May do other animals. Tell Me what you have.
>
> Call any time day or night. Collect ok. Will remove your unwanted feral
> and domesticated cats. Never any charges. Always free.
> 623-555-1212. Anywhere in the county.
>
> May also consider removing other animals. Tell me what you have.
> Please also see my other ad for fresh low price home made sausage.
>
> I didn't but I was tempted. If he calls again I will. No, that is not his
> phone number.

* What you should do is report him to ADT  I turn down work all
* the time I am very selective who I work for .

Me too.  My direct clients only.

I used to say I would help out another small dealer, but the only ones
whoever called me were mini mass marketers who sent me out on totally f'ed
up jobs expecting me to fix everything for nothing.  The last two or three I
looked at were pretty bad.  Panels installed inside return air ducts.  Phone
wire cut into the nearest jack (On a trailer for goodness sake.)  The
infamous sticky tape.  Customer who had been seriously misinformed about
what they had... and no CS or system info or feedback to check anything.
Pretty sad.  I don't want my name associated with those jobs at all.  Not in
any way.

Now I just don't take work from other dealers.  If they want to refer the
client to me for the whole job fine.  I'll even send them a referral fee if
I get a contract out of it, but I will not do installs or service work for
other dealers anymore.

I don't even like to do finals where I get the client's monitoring because
when it gets to that point you know its all screwed up and the installer is
in over their head and hoping you will fix it all just for the monitoring
contract.  In the last 10 years I've only gotten three that were ok, and
they were all fire inspector tested new fire systems.  If they didn't work
the contractor who installed it would be on the hook with the client, the
builder, and the city.  Those were all three for new buildings where I
already had a relationship with the client, but the builder had their own
fire company.  Still its extremely rare to get anything from another company
that isn't totally hosed.