Re: Customer had to close shop can not get employees

On Feb 21, 8:51=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Feb 21, 7:27=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <onebike...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Eay-Yup.
>
> > For years I tried to build my business, train employees play all the ga=
mes.
> > I have had only two guys I would hire back if they were available today=
. =A0I
> > just quit trying a several years ago. =A0I take as much work as I can d=
o by
> > myself and that's it. =A0I got tired of having to finish other people's=
 work,
> > and then do more work so I could afford to pay them for not doing it.
>
> > At one point I had three full time installers, 1 full time salesperson =
and a
> > full time office assistant. =A0I worked 80 hour weeks and made less tha=
n I do
> > right now working part time in a crap economy.
>
> Same here.
>
> Every once in a while I'll need another pair of hands and I'll hire an
> installer for a day. I can borrow him from a friendly competitor as
> long as I can give him a few days notice. I pay the boss cash $30.00
> an hour. HOWEVER, after a few early experiences, =A0I never let the guy
> work alone. I'm watchin him every minute. Guys been in the business
> over 25 years and still don't know shit.
>
> On a job, among other things, I had him put a contact on the front
> door of a shop. It was warm out and the door was propped open all day.
> Finished the job, and we checked all the openings and PIR's except for
> the front door which I figured I'd check when I did my central station
> check just before I leave. I told him to pack up and he could go. I
> pack up, put everything in the van and go back to arm the system and
> check the central. The front door wouldn't close all the way. He'd
> mounted the switch and the magnet without ever closing the door to see
> if it lined up. Jeeeeeeze. NOW .... I gotta
> get all the tools, ladder, etc out of the van. Try to drill a hole in
> the aluminum door right next to an existing hole without breaking
> through. Damn DAMMIT......!!!!! Another half hour - fortyfive minutes
> futzin around with it and HE'S home already !!!!
>
> Puts a motion detector about 10 feet off the floor so that anyone
> walking where you'd normally expect a person to walk .... could walk
> right under the PIR with out setting it off. I mean ..... is it really
> that hard to figure out? =A0I can't believe that me knowing what a
> typical pattern of a motion detector is ...makes me super smart.
>
> Oh well..... Thus I work alone ........

Same story here make more money doing it myself. I have a couple of
electrical contractors I work with who I help with fire alarms and an
occasional burg  and they are very fortunate they have a good crew of
guys. They are smart enough to call me with questions etc. so jobs go
smooth. just cant find that every where.