Re: Alarm System Transformer

using Kirchhoff's law of AC  I'd go with the 70.7 % to be on the power side
of the sin.. wave power curve..
best guessing of course which side of the transformer they were using for
their power calculations and the Q factor of the transformer in general
for it's transfer of energy, primary to secondary ...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all..
RTS

"Robert Macy"  wrote in message

On Dec 19, 9:48 pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 6:36 pm, Robert Macy <robert.a.m...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > It has to do with the difference between DC power and AC power.
>
> > > DC power is static. AC power is dynamic .... that is ....it is
> > > different at every stage of the 60 cycle/hertz sine wave. As I
> > > understand it ( and I don't entirely) you'd have to measure what the
> > > current is at every point along the sine wave and average it, to get
> > > the wattage of an AC device. So they do .... and they call that VA or
> > > Volt/Amp. However it really has nothing to do with the wattage of a DC
> > > circuit which is still measured in watts. So .... forgetting all of
> > > that, for our purposes in the alarm trade,  if you just consider that
> > > anything that is listed as VA ..... generally speaking, is equal to
> > > approximately 50 to 60 percent of the VA rating .... in watts.
>
> > > You can google it, but it all come down to the difference in the
> > > formulas when applying Ohms Law to AC and DC circuits. Most people
> > > don't even know that there's an AC Ohm's law or that it's different
> > > than DC.
>
> > > I never did find out why ... that after years of specing transformers
> > > in Watts, all of a sudden they decided to change from Watts to VA, but
> > > I think ,,,, or ,,,,, it may have had something to do with the growth
> > > in use of  UPS power supplies, because they needed a way to determine
> > > how much battery power (DC watts) was necessary to provide enough line
> > > voltage output (AC watts) so people could determine what size UPS to
> > > get. I say that because most of the explanations that you see on line
> > > mention UPS power supplies as examples. But .... could be it's just an
> > > easy way to show the difference.
>
> > > Google it if you need greater detail. It's all in the math.
>
> > Now THIS has gotten very confusing!
>
> > from URL:
> > <http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci539345,00.html>
> > "In an AC circuit, power and VA mean the same thing only when there is
> > no reactance."
> > which is what I always thought.
>
> > That means a transofrmer rated at 40VA can supply a 40W bulb with NO
> > problem, because the bulb is resistive and has no reactance.  However,
> > supply anytrhing with a 'strange' load, a motor or something and it is
> > likely the VA rating will be exceeded in order to supply the 40W to
> > this 'unknown' load.
>
> > So, my conclusion is that for good margins, use a 40VA to supply 20W
> > of 'unknown' type. There does not appear to be any other numbers
> > associated with the VA rating that I could find in order to 'derate'
> > it to lower power..
>
> > Doing the internet search resulted in finding some very confusing
> > wording of this information floating around on the internet.
>
> > Again, the VA rating of a transformer means that it can supply up to
> > the rated voltage in rms and up to the rated current in rms, but be
> > careful in thinking ONLY in terms of monitoring the load's power. It
> [...]

Two to one, interesting. For reliable design that is the same derating
we used to apply to resistors. If the resistor was 1/4 W, you only ran
it at 1/8W.  ALL, based upon some prediction of MTBF published by IBM,
and drawing conclusions as to maximizing the component cost versus its
lifetime [from memory]

2:1, seems reasonable to me. That would take care of the products that
don't quite meet the full spec, and a lot of companies ship those.

But, it means, if you're in a bind, you could probably safely assume
you can power 30 or even 32W with a 40VA and not compromise it.

That's applying the 80% rule. The same IBM publication suggested
operating caps at 80%, or less, of their rated voltage.

Regards,