Re: MMJ Stranded

"jewellfish" <jewellfish@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fbf7dd1c-a713-49d3-ace9-2fa82458dbec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Dec 1, 2:17 pm, "Bob La Londe" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "Bob La Londe" <onebike...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>> messagenews:jb8emc$db1$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>

>> > "Bob La Londe" <onebike...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> > For those who don't know.  MMJ is an offset locking tab modular
>> > connector
>> > that looks similar to an RJ-12 phone cord plug.  It has 6 pins.
>> > Stranded
>> > type
>> > pins puncture the connectors through the center, and solid type pins
>> > skin
>> > the
>> > insulation off the sides.  If you have good eyes or good reading
>> > glasses
>> > and
>> > plastic isn't to fogged and scratched from riding around in a box in
>> > your
>> > truck you can see the difference through the plastic.
>>
>> Its looking like I am going to have to make an adaptor of some kind.
>> Digi-Key and MCM don't even have them.
>
> may try here
> http://www.cablesforless.com/RJ12-Modular-Connector-With-Offset-MMJ-Clip-6P6C-P4866.aspx

Thank you.  Now to find out if the one they have is for stranded or solid
wire... or if they know the difference.

Just sent them a message.

For those who don't know.  MMJ is an offset locking tab modular connector
that looks similar to an RJ-12 phone cord plug.  It has 6 pins.  Stranded
type pins puncture the connectors through the center, and solid type pins
skin the insulation off the sides.  If you have good eyes or good reading
glasses and plastic isn't to fogged and scratched from riding around in a
box in your truck you can see the difference through the plastic.

The Problem:

1.  If you use a penetrating stranded wire type on solid wire you risk it
breaking the conductor and having a bad connection.

2.  If you use a skinning type solid wire type on stranded wire you risk the
conductor just forming an oval and slipping between the skinning points and
having a bad connection or even no connection.