camera motion detection ...... optical -vs- infrared

I've got a small security setup that looks for motion detection by
comparing frames of the picture image.  Anything sets it off -- shadows
from clouds, moving bushes, etc.  If I turn the sensitivity down, the
system does not reliably detect people or cars.  So ...... I've got tons
of video to wade thru and relatively few captures.

I thought if I could use infrared to trigger the cameras, I'd get much
fewer false recordings.  Unfortunately, PIRs do not have the range and
sensitivity I need.  I don't mind buying new cameras (6) and software
within reason.

Any thoughts?