Re: OT: Telus is dropping their news server.

On 25/10/2010 10:01 AM, Jim wrote:
> On Oct 24, 11:32 pm, tourman<robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

>>> I prefer using a news reader.  I happen to like using Thunderbird.
>>
>>> On a side note...  I figure as an official "beta tester" for Microsoft
>>> 2010 Office, I'd receive a "thank you" in the form of either a free
>>> upgrade to the full version or a deeply discounted price to do so.  MS
>>> isn't even offering an "upgrade" version (except to those individuals
>>> that bought Office 2007 as part of a new computer purchase - and then
>>> you have to activate it in a very narrow "window").  That just plain
>>> sucks.  I use Professional because I write a lot of Access apps.  Would
>>> have been nice to upgrade to 2010.  Glad I saved everything I did as a
>>> "2007" file.
>>
>>> Rant mode "off".
>>
>>> --
>>> Frank Kurzwww.firetechs.net
>>
>> RHC: Frank, why bother spending any money on new versions of Office
>> (rhetorically speaking....I'm sure you have your reasons). I'm still
>> using an old copy of Office 2000 that does everything I could want to
>> do with this program.  I get severely pissed with programs such as
>> Quick Books where they keep trying to get you to upgrade to get some
>> minor upgrade I wouldn't use anyway.
>>
>> Until recently, I was still using Quick Books 2000 but did decide to
>> buy the latest version (2010). That one should keep me going for the
>> next decade at least.....:))-
>
> Problem is, ( and I feel the same as you) the operating systems change
> and when you buy a new computer, the old applications are not
> compatable with the new operating system. I use Word Perfect, word
> processor and  have for about 20 or more years ( before it was even
> called Word Perfect) I Never  use Word in spite of the fact that they
> stole most of their functions from WP.  This computer I have now will
> be the last one that I can use my old version on. I'll have to get a
> new version of WP for my next computer. And .... I don't even know if
> I'll be able to convert all of my old saved files to the new WP
> format. I'm having some trouble with this computer converting some old
> files.

The wife has used Word Perfect since the 5.1 and DOS days.  I just
loaded WP X-4 on her new computer.  She's not having any problems
opening the older files.  Quattro Pro and Presentations are both far
superior to Excel and Powerpoint.

--
Frank Kurz
www.firetechs.net