Re: OT: Telus is dropping their news server.

On Oct 24, 11:32=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 10:10=A0pm, Frank Kurz <t...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I use Google. It's kinda messy at first, =A0trying to find this group=
,
> > > but once I did, I just bookmarked the sign-in page and now it just
> > > takes a couple of second to sign on. They don't require any personal
> > > info and I can keep a low profile and this is all I use it for anyway=
.
> > > Works for me.
>
> > I prefer using a news reader. =A0I happen to like using Thunderbird.
>
> > On a side note... =A0I figure as an official "beta tester" for Microsof=
> > 2010 Office, I'd receive a "thank you" in the form of either a free
> > upgrade to the full version or a deeply discounted price to do so. =A0M=
> > isn't even offering an "upgrade" version (except to those individuals
> > that bought Office 2007 as part of a new computer purchase - and then
> > you have to activate it in a very narrow "window"). =A0That just plain
> > sucks. =A0I use Professional because I write a lot of Access apps. =A0W=
ould
> > have been nice to upgrade to 2010. =A0Glad I saved everything I did as =
> > "2007" file.
>
> > Rant mode "off".
>
> > --
> > Frank Kurzwww.firetechs.net
>
> RHC: Frank, why bother spending any money on new versions of Office
> (rhetorically speaking....I'm sure you have your reasons). I'm still
> using an old copy of Office 2000 that does everything I could want to
> do with this program. =A0I get severely pissed with programs such as
> Quick Books where they keep trying to get you to upgrade to get some
> minor upgrade I wouldn't use anyway.
>
> Until recently, I was still using Quick Books 2000 but did decide to
> buy the latest version (2010). That one should keep me going for the
> next decade at least.....:))-

Problem is, ( and I feel the same as you) the operating systems change
and when you buy a new computer, the old applications are not
compatable with the new operating system. I use Word Perfect, word
processor and  have for about 20 or more years ( before it was even
called Word Perfect) I Never  use Word in spite of the fact that they
stole most of their functions from WP.  This computer I have now will
be the last one that I can use my old version on. I'll have to get a
new version of WP for my next computer. And .... I don't even know if
I'll be able to convert all of my old saved files to the new WP
format. I'm having some trouble with this computer converting some old
files.