Re: Help with adding two window sensors to ADT alarm.

On Oct 29, 9:17=A0am, Frank Kurz <t...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28/10/2010 10:13 PM, mleuck wrote:
>

> >> I would advise against programming the panel yourself while you're sti=
ll
> >> under contract.
>
> >> This having been said, I recently took over an ADT Vista 20. =A0Withou=
t a
> >> full alpha keypad I wouldn't attempt to add wireless devices. =A0The V=
ista
> >> 20 manual is readily available online. =A0If the installer exited
> >> programming with *99 command you should be able to get "in" by powerin=
> >> the system down (remove battery and AC) and then powering back up. =A0=
Go
> >> to any keypad in the house within 60 seconds and press "*" and "#"
> >> together. =A0If the keypad displays "20", you're "in" and can proceed =
> >> program the system.
>
> >> You NEED a full alpha keypad. =A0You NEED the programming manual and s=
ome
> >> basic understanding of alarm terminology.
>
> >> If you screw up the programming sequence, the installer that ADT
> >> dispatches is liable to charge you double to fix it.
>
> > Its not a very good idea to tell someone how to get into programming
> > without knowing if the guy has the proper keypad or not, do you
> > honestly think he's going to know what an alpha keypad is? Now it's
> > likely he'll put it in programming anyway thanks to you and not have a
> > clue how to get out
>
> > I've seen this crap happen before, someone with no experience totally
> > hoses their system and will they admit it? of course not then it's
> > ADT's fault and of course everyone here piles on
>
> I agree with you Mark. =A0A search of this group will reveal many
> instances where individuals have provided the information necessary to
> access installer level programming on a number of different setups (heck
> you can even find the manuals online). =A0I thought it important to
> mention the importance of doing it right and having the right tools. =A0A
> number of other respondents (including yourself) have provided
> sufficient warning for any end-user to think twice before attempting to
> make an alteration to a system that is under contract.
>
> --
> Frank Kurzwww.firetechs.net

Telling them about manuals is almost as bad, now you've got someone
with no skill in alarm panel programming looking at a manual poking
around their monitored and under contract system

If you really wanted to do it right you should have stopped at "Call
ADT"