Re: home video camera question- outside security

On 20/03/2010 1:33 PM, Robert L Bass wrote:
> "Matt Ion" wrote:
>> On 18/03/2010 9:23 PM, Robert L Bass wrote:
>>
>>> If you use your PC as a recording device you'll save considerably
>>> over the cost of most profesional DVR's. Otherwise, add around
>>> $400 or $500 for recording.
>>
>> ...except you'll need to get a wire to your PC, and you'll have to add
>> some sort of capture hardware and software, and you'll have to leave
>> it running all the time.
>
> Matt is 100% correct, though you'll need a wire either way.

True... however, with a separate DVR, it can potentially be located
somewhere that makes that wiring easy, whereas if running to your
regular home PC, you may find wiring more difficult.

> By the way, I didn't mention wireless cameras only because there seem to
> be only two types of those -- really expensive or really poor
> quality. Unless someone else has a good suggestion, I am not aware of
> any inexpensive RF cameras that are actually reliable.

This is true of CCTV in general, although you're right, it's more an
issue with wireless.

The main problem, of course, is that most of them operate in the
already-overcrowded 2.4GHz consumer band, where they are subject to
interference from all manner of cordless devices (phones in particular),
as well as WiFi routers and devices.

Part of being inexpensive also means that they usually use very cheap
camera guts, so on top of iffy wireless transmission, you'll probably
have poor image quality to begin with.