home video camera question- outside security

Hi.  I am thinking of buying a camera to be installed outside my house
so that I can see who is at the front door. I want to have this hooked
up to a monitor... Pretty simple.. I am clueless about the systems out
there. I want something reliable, good camera that can take hard
winters in New England. but a simple system that will record .. Since
I only need 1 camera, can someone give me some advice as what it
should cost? Any good websites I should check out? Thanks