Re: I need a low voltage expert

In article <7bdce4ae-930d-44f5-a05a-8aff9b1b299f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	nick markowitz <nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Jun 30, 5:00 pm, obmcclintock <f...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have a technical question about low voltage in an alarm system. I
>> have a 10 year old radio shack 8 zone burglar/fire alarm panel with a
>> small rechargable back up battery. I would like to replace it with a
>> larger wet cell battery just in case our power is out for quite a
>> length of time. I will place it in a vented box close to the panel. My
>> question is; Can I use a battery much larger in size and amp hours
>> than the little one as long as the voltage is the same- 12 volts? Will
>> I run the risk of burning something out as I can not afford to replace
>> it now that my work is becoming scarce. Please can someone help me
>> with this question, thank you!!!
> No can do must use a lead/gel acid battery or risk of fire.
> the panels charger is not designed for wet cells.
> could put a bigger lead/gel  acid in most panels can handle 7-10 amp
> battery no problem.
> if you do put bigger than that  the charger in the alarm panel will
> never be able to keep up proper charge and burn out.

The charger circuit limits the charging current, and the current
won't increase with a larger capacity battery - it will simply take
longer to fully charge. This is most unlikely to damage the charge
circuit.

Note that lead/gel acid batteries used in alarms don't like being
run completely flat (whipes out some of the capacity each time
you do it), and the alarm may behave unpredictably as the battery
voltage drops too low. Some alarms have a battery protection
function to switch off and cease current draw before running
the battery too low, but probably not a 10 year old radio shack
system. If you are using the system in a situation where you
expect the battery to run out, you might want to investigate a
battery protection circuit, although it might not integrate well
with the alarm if it wasn't designed with this in mind.

--
Andrew Gabriel