I need a low voltage expert

I have a technical question about low voltage in an alarm system. I
have a 10 year old radio shack 8 zone burglar/fire alarm panel with a
small rechargable back up battery. I would like to replace it with a
larger wet cell battery just in case our power is out for quite a
length of time. I will place it in a vented box close to the panel. My
question is; Can I use a battery much larger in size and amp hours
than the little one as long as the voltage is the same- 12 volts? Will
I run the risk of burning something out as I can not afford to replace
it now that my work is becoming scarce. Please can someone help me
with this question, thank you!!!