Re: using CAT5 for smoke detectors

"motley me" wrote:

>> The only thing I use Cat5 for in a burg install is for the telco line.
>>
>> Jim Rojas
>>

> Amen brother!

We did a lot of Napco systems over the years.  Many of them were take-overs.
Their RP1-CAe2 keypad has a built-in 4 zone expander.  We would run CAT5 to
those keypads because it was easy to run the zones back to the panel.  If it was
one of ours, we ran 22/4 from the panel and wired nearby sensors directly to the
pad.

Windsor, CT, had a Fire Marshal who insisted that keypad and siren wiring be
fire cable if the system included smokes.  After the first run-in with him, we
started using fire wire for keypads in Windsor.  Everywhere else we ran standard
22/4.

Oh, one exception.  I did a freebie for a church-affiliated drug rehab place in
Rhode Island.  We had to use 16-gauge for keypads, sirens, smokes and heats.  A
local electrician pulled the permits and "supervised" the job.  Fortunately, he
warned us in advance about the cable.  I would have run 18/4 fire stuff
otherwise.  The inspector was *not* flexible.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics