Re: using CAT5 for smoke detectors

> You just had to do it, didn't you?

A king must know these things.  :)

> I don't see anything about stripping the wires with your fingernails,
> tho... ;)

It's there, second post.  FWIW, using fingernails to strip wire for the
purpose of avoiding nicks and breakage is really just an acknoledgement that
24AWG is not really suitable for a critical applications.  Of course,
opinions vary on the importance of fire safety and building codes and
practices.

Years ago there was a store Tri-City Sporting Goods in Fremont, CA that
covered several acres (now gone and replaced with housing).  They had large
steel gates at each of the major exits.  Shoplifting was a problem, so they
began padlocking some of the exit gates during business hours.  Each exit
had a large lighted EXIT sign over the locked gates.  When I saw this, I
mentioned it to one of the sales staff, assuming he would say, oops, we
forgot to unlock those this morning.  He said, and I'm not making this up,
quote, "If there is a fire, I'm sure the manager will come and unlock the
gate."

Well, I figured he was clueless, so I asked to speak to the manager.  Would
you believe I went all the way up the management chain, and no one would
agree that it was a really bad idea to lock exit doors during business
hours.  I had to call the Fremont Fire Department to get them to change the
policy.

Best,
Christopher