Re: Honeywell LYNXR-EN Expansion?

On Dec 5, 5:20=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 1:24=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > > Sadly.. no.. Because I dealt with monitronics before this and they
> > > didn't allow it either. =A0And my suspicions were confired. =A0For wh=
at
> > > would cost me personally about 120 dollars in parts to do they want t=
> > > charge me 420 dollars to do.
>
> > > So... if I need a monitored alarm system (for insurance reasons) I
> > > guess it is what it is and I have to just bite it...
>
> > > Thanks guys.
>
> > RHC: Well....no.....there is another option, and a better one to boot.
> > Shop around for a small, =A0GOOD (and I stress "good"), independant
> > dealer who will provide you a level of ongoing service of a more
> > personal nature. Dealing with any large conglomerate guarantees you
> > will have service troubles at some point. Big companies are just
> > that..BIG...and by their very nature, they aren't set up to care in
> > the same way, and to provide the much more personal level of service
> > that residential accounts should expect and demand. No one can truly
> > say they are happy with any alarm company until you've had to call
> > them for service...
>
> > You probably wouldn't be fussing with the kind of problem you have now
> > if you had a proper dealer to look after you. Just another approach to
> > consider
>
> The OP should be sure he wont be breaking any "contract" that he has
> with ADT before venturing into any arrangement with someone else.
>
> ie. The OP should find out what obligtions he has to ADT, when the
> contract expires, whether it is automatic renewal or if required to
> notify ADT within some time frame before the end of the contract. What
> are the laws in his state about contract renewals. (Automatic or must
> notify) How he should notifiy them or how they are required to notify
> him, (certified mail, letter) =A0Does the equipment belong to him or ADT
> etc, etc, etc. After meeting all the obligations when the contract is
> up and all the built in pit falls and "gottcha's " are addressed in
> advance, ..... then that puts him free and clear to seek to do
> business with an alarm company that will give him some personal
> service.
>
> How many times have we heard stories about end users having done all
> the right things ..... still being harrassed by these Nationals for
> payment and balance of contract payment penalties. The customer sends
> the cancelation letter to one place and the billing department never
> gets the word and makes all kinds of threats. Takes six months for
> them to finally go away.
>
> Those "gottcha's" will gettcha every time.

RHC: Quite right of course...I said all that assuming he was free and
clear of any of the horrid "gotchas" that are often hidden in these
monitoring contracts through the large companies.  However, it also
begs the question as to why he would allow himself to be hooked in
that way to begin with, when there all sorts of far more "user
friendly" companies around.

People often ask why I "hate" the large companies like ADT. The answer
is I don't "hate" any company. After 20 years in this business, I just
know too well the opportunistic, often dishonourable, and always
totally self-interested way in which they all operate towards their
clients. A customer is more than a "monitoring contract", or "low
hanging fruit" to be plucked, simply "because they can". A customer is
a person who has invited you into his home, and is awarding you the
honour and trust of looking after his home and often his or her
personal security. They deserve to be treated just as you would wish
to be treated yourself if the roles were reversed.

I see good and bad within the security industry by all kinds of
dealers, large AND small. But the best chance for a client to get a
quality, caring dealer is ALWAYS within the ranks of the small to
medium size companies. Mom and Pop shops care because the "owner is
behind the counter". His personal reputation and integrity is on the
line with every client he takes on. It's never the ADT's or the Brinks
of the world (in spite of all their advertising promising that.....)
that are able to do that !

Big companies are just not set up that way....true personal service is
a corporate impossibility. Bureaucracy doesn't allow it ! How many
times have you and I helped a client out with his telephone wiring ?
How many times have we sorted out billing problems after one quick
call from the client ? How many times have we assisted clients with
operating their systems and made what end up being unnecessary service
calls for reasons of customer satisfaction? Even the large
conglomerate that does my monitoring and my billing acts in an
uncaring way towards clients. I have heard all sorts of horror stories
from their clients. It's just the "nature of the beast" !!!

When I had only been in the business for a few years, and I started to
feel this way because of everything I had seen, I thought It was me
simply developing a bias against big companies.  Now I know better:
it's true......