Re: Problem with Scantronic avenger VI

On Aug 27, 7:21=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 27, 7:47=A0am, Jim Rojas <jro...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Jim wrote:

> > > That's funny. ( Technosaur) Did you just make that up?
>
> > As I remember, those panels were very troublesome, keypads wore out
> > fast, and didn't handle static electricity very well. We replaced all o=
> > them within 5 years of their introduction back in the 1980's
>
> > Jim Rojas
> > Technical Manuals Online!http://www.tech-man.com
> > 8002 Cornwall Lane
> > Tampa, FL 33615-4604
> > 813-884-6335
>
> RHC: I've been following this thread with some interest. You have to
> wonder why some people insist upon putting an old clunker like this
> back in service especially if it's going on line with the authorities.
> No one would try to keep a 386 computer in service today, especially
> in a business application, but they'll try to keep an old alarm
> clunker going forever. With panels and keypads available wholesale at
> less than $100, you really have to wonder!!!!
>
> The other thing I still haven't figured out after 20 years in the
> business, is a customer will go out and spend $1000 on a big screen
> TV, but not a penny on a decent alarm.....go figure

We still have a zillion old panels like the AT&T 8000 out there, the
flaw in your argument is that some customers get so used to the system
and WILL NOT go for an upgrade no matter what.

As far as the 386 you'd be surprised with them still being used on old
dedicated workstations and some dedicated devices, if I recall either
the Honeywell Optiflex or 7845i Internet communicator used an old
386SX chip as the main processor.