Re: Got a Job Interview - Anyone heard of 'em?

Bob La Londe wrote:
> "JoeRaisin" <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> JoeRaisin wrote:
>>> Finally!
>>>
>>> I am going tomorrow for a job interview with a company called
>>> Multiband USA:
>>>
>>> https://www.multibandusa.com/home/
>>>
>>> I googled 'em and the only negative thing I found was a guy
>>> complaining that he was laid off without two weeks notice - I don't
>>> find that unusual...
>>>
>>> They want me to use my own vehicle so I assume they will be paying
>>> mileage.  They also said that one of the requirements is that I
>>> purchase all the equipment I will need before the end of the six week
>>> paid training period, but the woman verifying my info and setting the
>>> appointment didn't know what equipment and how much it will cost.
>>>
>>> This is just in time (if it's a decent job) as my summer job ends
>>> next Saturday.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of anyone who has worked for them?  I know I can't be
>>> choosy right now - a job is a job, but I would like to go in with my
>>> eyes open.
>>>
>>> The wiring business I tried to start has gone nowhere - only a few
>>> gigs and for one of them I ended up having to replace a piece of test
>>> equipment that cost almost as much as I was paid - I really suck at
>>> this...
>>
>> Okay -
>>
>> The tools "required" are the basic hand tools expected for running
>> wire - I have all those plus the test equipment they don't expect you
>> have until you are bumped up to "service tech" which the interviewer
>> says takes at least a year.  They will also give me a 28 foot
>> extension ladder.
>>
>> The satellite sensor & crimper they will want me to use is given to me
>> (but remains the property of the company).
>>
>> It's Piece work (which I'm not not too crazy about) and starts at $40
>> for a basic (which they allocate 2 hrs) to an "all the bells and
>> whistles" at $180.  They add on another $15 for using my personal
>> vehicle and he said they "try" to keep you within a 25 mile radius of
>> the city I live in.  Any unexpected issues like having to post-mount
>> the dish adds allocated time & additional money to the job.  If I log
>> more than 40 hrs "onsite" in a week I get overtime which if I
>> understand it right is 1.5 times what the job would normally pay.  If
>> I get assigned way outside my "normal environs" they usually pay for a
>> hotel.
>>
>> He claimed there's tons of overtime in the summer - not so much in the
>> winter.  I would work out of my home (tax implications, anyone?)
>> printing out work orders off a website each morning.
>>
>> The tech's I saw coming and going while I was there, plus the ones in
>> for their weekly meeting/training seemed to be in good moods - so it
>> doesn't look like a "horrible" place to work.
>>
>> The weekly meeting would be an unreimbursed 206 mile round trip (103m
>> each way according to my trip meter).  So that 8 hour day would cost
> [...]

I'll let you know what the install practices are.

New twist - the place I have been working this summer has a full-time,
year-round position open.

There's a good chance, but no guarantee that I'd get the job.  I really
like this place and the job is great.  The money won't come anywhere
near the high end my interviewer said could be possible - but it would
be consistent and a little more then the low end.  I know I enjoy this
job and there job security is solid - the place ain't going anywhere and
you gotta screw up royal to get fired.

Problem: The interview period is right in the middle of my 8 week
training period which takes place just over two hours away from home.  I
put in for the job but I'll have to flake out on my new job to get
interviewed - that bothers me.

I feel like I shouldn't accept this one if I'm trying for the other - is
that stupid?  I mentioned on another forum that it feels like I'm trying
to date two girls...

Bird in the hand...

Don't count your chickens...

The grass is greener...

Dang! I need a pithy saying that says, "screw it - go for both - to hell
with conscience"