Re: Got a Job Interview - Anyone heard of 'em?

JoeRaisin wrote:
> Finally!
>
> I am going tomorrow for a job interview with a company called Multiband
> USA:
>
> https://www.multibandusa.com/home/
>
> I googled 'em and the only negative thing I found was a guy complaining
> that he was laid off without two weeks notice - I don't find that
> unusual...
>
> They want me to use my own vehicle so I assume they will be paying
> mileage.  They also said that one of the requirements is that I purchase
> all the equipment I will need before the end of the six week paid
> training period, but the woman verifying my info and setting the
> appointment didn't know what equipment and how much it will cost.
>
> This is just in time (if it's a decent job) as my summer job ends next
> Saturday.
>
> Anyone know of anyone who has worked for them?  I know I can't be choosy
> right now - a job is a job, but I would like to go in with my eyes open.
>
> The wiring business I tried to start has gone nowhere - only a few gigs
> and for one of them I ended up having to replace a piece of test
> equipment that cost almost as much as I was paid - I really suck at this...

Okay -

The tools "required" are the basic hand tools expected for running wire
- I have all those plus the test equipment they don't expect you have
until you are bumped up to "service tech" which the interviewer says
takes at least a year.  They will also give me a 28 foot extension ladder.

The satellite sensor & crimper they will want me to use is given to me
(but remains the property of the company).

It's Piece work (which I'm not not too crazy about) and starts at $40
for a basic (which they allocate 2 hrs) to an "all the bells and
whistles" at $180.  They add on another $15 for using my personal
vehicle and he said they "try" to keep you within a 25 mile radius of
the city I live in.  Any unexpected issues like having to post-mount the
dish adds allocated time & additional money to the job.  If I log more
than 40 hrs "onsite" in a week I get overtime which if I understand it
right is 1.5 times what the job would normally pay.  If I get assigned
way outside my "normal environs" they usually pay for a hotel.

He claimed there's tons of overtime in the summer - not so much in the
winter.  I would work out of my home (tax implications, anyone?)
printing out work orders off a website each morning.

The tech's I saw coming and going while I was there, plus the ones in
for their weekly meeting/training seemed to be in good moods - so it
doesn't look like a "horrible" place to work.

The weekly meeting would be an unreimbursed 206 mile round trip (103m
each way according to my trip meter).  So that 8 hour day would cost me
about 35 bucks (at least it did today).

The job is mine if I want it (unless the background check reveals
something unsavory - which would surprise me more than them) I have
'till Sep 2d to decide as that is when the 8 week training period ($10
an hour) begins.

I don't have much (read - any) experience with piece work but it sounds
fair and I really can't afford to be too picky as this point.  Plus I
can drop the $30 month I'm paying for my liability insurance.  (the work
for myself attempt was a desperate move as I've always been a terrible
salesman - a fact )

Additional benefit - driving around the area between jobs I can still
drop off resumes...