Re: Might be away for a few days again

"Robert L Bass" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Turned out to be a medical error.  The new nurse put too
>much of one medication in my medicine dispensor this week.
>They sent a nurse out and after sorting things she figured it
>out.  Now they are giving me supplemental medicines to
>bring things under control.  It'll take a few days but I didn't
>have to be admitted so I'm grateful for that.

Wow.  That's pretty bad, an avoidable error that caused harm.  It's time for the
new nurse to be the old nurse.  There is no excuse for not double checking the
med's.  That is a job that needs to be done with 100% accuracy, 100% of the
time.

In the last year I have personally caught 2 prescription orders not written
correctly for me, and 3 or 4 prescription filling errors at the pharmacy.

Now I know how to read a prescription and proofread it as soon as they hand it
over.  And I don't leave the counter or drive-thru when picking-up until I
verify everything on the labels is correct.

The doctors and nurses are often so rushed to meet their quota of patients they
are making more mistakes.   Pharmacies around here are often understaffed with
techs and most stores just keep one licensed pharmacist on duty to save money I
guess.  So you have less people doing more work, and going by what I've seen I
think you can purchase a pharmacy-tech licence at Pep-Boy's for about $30.