Re: Good news... well, sort of

"Jim" wrote:

> I get antsy in an elevator with more than four people...

I heard someone say he wanted to make oifficial-looking stickers to place on
the wall of an elevator saying, "7 Button Does Not Work. Please Press 3 + 4."

> I Don't go to places where there are big uncontrolable crowds or hostile
> people.

Carnaval is only half of that.  They have uncontrollable crowds of extremely
friendly people.

> Limits my travel destinations sometimes but there are lots of other choices
> and the relaxation level is great.

OK, I'll grant you that.  Carnaval is NOT relaxing...  :^)

To experience true relaxation, Brazilian style, check out my album on Boipeba
Island.  This is a place where there are no cars, no roads and no locks on the
doors and windows of the "Bed and Breakfast" (Brazilians call it a Poussada).
You hop out of the boat when it pulls up to the beach and the driver hands
your luggage over to the taxi driver.  The "taxi" is a wheel barrow.  They
cart your stuff down the beach and you follow on foot.  It's not a problem
since the walk is only 5-10 minutes and the beach is beautiful.  The Poussada
sits is not visible from the beach -- just a set of stairs leading up into the
mata (jungle).  Once under the forest canopy, your eyes are greeted by a scene
out of Robinson Caruso, except the part of Friday is played by a bevy of
beautiful Brasileiras offering to bring you a beverage as you relax in a
hammock between towering palms while other helpers scurry back and forth
carting your gear to your room.

Evening meals consist of fish that was caught within the hour, fruit and salad
plucked from the forest just long enough ago to cut and chill over a bed of
ice and unbelievable salads and deserts.  Breakfast is a veritable feast of
eggs, sliced meats, fresh fruits of every imaginable variety, home made breads
and little cakes, and fried creations made from manioc, tapioca and so on.
Lunch was served at a floating bar/disco/restaurant a few miles out from the
Poussada (the place looked pretty shabby but the food was excellent and the
drinks were ice cold).

BTW, a couple of years ago I teased you by posting a link to a picture of a
run-down fishing boat that I jokingly dubbed the "SS Jiminex" (apologies for
the rudeness).  That boat was one of a group plying the bay that leads from
Boipeba to the nearest mainland town.  The tourist boats are mostly schooners,
a few small power boats and a number of pontoon boats.  They come over from
Morro de Sao Paulo (a famous and very busy beach resort on the nearby island
of Tinhare) and from the capital city of Salvador across the huge Bahia de
Todos os Santos (Bay of All Saints) where I have a condo.

We took the whole family to Boipeba for a long weekend several years ago to
celebrate my birthday.  I hope to have time for a second visit next time I go
down.  That will be my fifteenth (and possibly final) trip to my beloved
second country.  We'll see how all that works out.

Friends have also asked me to go island hopping to the Bahamas via private
plane (several are pilots).  IIRC, you've got a degree of experience there.
Any recommendations?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass