Re: Good news... well, sort of

"G. Morgan" wrote:

> That's good news.  I'll bet he says the same thing six months from now!

Could be.  I have a malignant pleural effusion from lung cancer
[clickety-click, click: Leuck furiously Googling away though he will of course
deny it].  I had this from the start.  No one told me that the prognosis was
so grim 3 years ago.  No one told me I was supposed to die in about 2-4 months
so I just kept on living.  Now the pleura is a real mess and the cancer has
spread everywhere but I'm still "thriving" (that's how my oncologist describes
it) so he says I'll last a little longer.

Some wise person said that doctors often tell you that you've only got xx
months to live so when you outlast their predictions they become heroes.
Maybe that's a part of this, too.

Anyway, I'm considering heading back to Brazil for Carnaval 2010 if I'm still
on my feet that far along.  You've probably read about Carnaval in Rio De
Janeiro or seen bits about it on TV at one time or another.  It's this
incredible show that you watch from viewing stands (called the Sambadroma).

That's OK for tourists but I prefer the Nordestino (in the NE cities of
Brazil) version of Carnaval.  There it's a bacchanalian street party with
literally hundreds of thousands of people out in the streets -- laughing,
dancing, drinking, kissing random strangers and listening to the greatest
bands in all of South America as they slowly make their way along a 6-8
kilometer parade route.

Bear in mind this is no parade like we have on July 4.  You don't stand on the
sidewalk cheering from behind wooden barricades.  No, everyone is out in the
middle of the crowd.  As you know I love a good party.  Well, this is a the
great grand-daddy of all parties and it goes on for six days officially but
actually lasts for weeks if you're invited to all the pre- and post-Carnaval
"festas."  I have a number of good friends in several cities around the NE so
I'm always out for one or another event.  I'll be single by the time Carnaval
rolls around so what the heck!

I'm sure Nick knows one thing I've come to realize while fighting this
disease.  For the most part you cannot control when or how you will die.  The
only thing you can control, at least to a certain extent, is how you will live
in the meantime.  I choose to live every day.  I hope you do, too.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics