Re: And I'm a Marine...

tourman wrote:
> On Oct 30, 5:34 pm, JoeRaisin <joeraisin2...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>   That said, if you'd ever been in charge of a shop full of young
> Marines
>> and had to stand in front of the Commanding Officer with them every time
>> one of them did something stupid - to include one exceptionally
>> brilliant young man who thought it wise to answer his cell phone in the
>> middle of non-judicial punishment, then you might start to believe there
>> is a little merit to the brains joke...
>
> RHC: Hahaha.....yeah, I can see your point. The Canadian military guys
> I associate with in my IPSC / USPSA shooting organization are not like
> that. They are thorough professionals, and shoot with us to improve
> their combat skills, since our sport evolved from combat pistol
> shooting back in the 1970's. Every one to a man is someone I would be
> afraid to come up against in combat. They are all there because they
> want to be, and they believe in their mission down to the soles in
> their boots.
>
> I dislike the war but I totally support the warriors....

Very few entry level soldiers among that group I'll wager.

I remember a General once commenting (possibly a lifted quote, I don't
know for sure) that if only we could lock Marines in a case with a sign,
"Break Glass in Case of War."

I would have no reservations leading (or being led BY in many cases) any
of my Marines in combat - they were, to the man, deadly professionals.
But, on liberty, they were 18 and 19 year old young men, far away from
home and chock full of vim, vigor and vitality far too often thinking
with their little head - and the stunts they pulled after a few drinks
are... well... are just like the stupid things I did as a young Marine
all those many years ago...

And I agree with your last sentence, especially if you remove the "the"
in front of "war."  Which brings to mind another quote I learned by one
of my trainers in Infantry School.

"There are no minor battles for those involved in them."