Re: How Does the New Health Care Reform Bill Affect Your Business ???

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

> I have geared down the last several years.  Basically I try to only sell as
> much work as I can do by myself...

Your business will be unaffected by the legislation.  There's no requirement for
such small businesses to participate.  However, the new law will make it
impossible for your insurance company to drop you if you become sick.  It will
also guarantee you access to health insurance even if you become sick before you
apply.

One issue that's not getting as much press as it should is the matter of
prescription prices.  With the public option the federal government will be able
to use its bargaining power to negotiate better prices for your medication.  The
new law will also close the so-called "doughnut hole" that hobbles millions of
older Americans with thousands of dollars in Rx costs per year.  Many of these
people, retirees who have worked all their lives and paid their taxes, find they
now have to choose between medicing they need to survive and food or rent.

Young, healthy people may not care but their time will come and when it does
they'll be glad we finally did something about the healthcare mess we're in
today.

> I can see the additional burden of this being a problem for new and growing
> businesses though.  Basically making it that much harder to break into
> business and further protecting those who "have" from those who "can do."

It may seem that way if you only read the headlines or listen to sound bites on
the news.  Reading the statute, you'll find there's a lot of protection for
small businesses and startups.  This is going to be a very good thing for
America.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass