Re: 4 wire smokes and EOL's

Robert L Bass wrote:

>4-Conductor is enough for 2-wire smokes and 8-conductor will handle 4-wire
>models unless you're running auxiliary relays or something.

Right.  I said 6 conductor because I thought just about every 4-wire detector
has a built in power supervision relay.  It's been years since I've even
messed with 4wires though.

>  However, there
>*might* be an issue with the inspector.  Some I know mistakenly confuse the
>requirement from old, Class "A" circuits that the "return" run be separate as
>prohibiting this wiring scheme.  I think they're wrong but there's that little
>clause we all know and love, "The interpretation and application of this code
>shall be subject to the discretion of the authority having jurisdiction."  :^)

I've never had an inspector look that close.  I would only do it in a retro or
repair type situation.  I remember wiring a really old country club clubhouse
that had so many additions and modifications we had to use 4 conductor for the
2-wire smokes because many of the wireshots were in such tight spaces.