Re: 4 wire smokes and EOL's

"Robert L Bass" wrote...
> "CH®IS" wrote:
>>
>> Although now I see why you'd just have one resistor.  I was thinking
>> since it's an "open circuit", it's open, but it's not.  However, if
>> they're all home run, there's no supervision for the rest of the smokes
>> on that zone.
>
> That is exactly right, Chris.  So, unless you have lots of spare zones
> available, you will want to wire the smokes to a single zone (in the
> manner Graham suggested).  Since smoke detectors have latching LEDs to
> tell you which one is in an alarm state, it's OK to have them all in a
> single zone or, perhaps, one zone per major area of the premises.  We used
> to run one fire zone per floor on residential jobs in Connecticut.  That
> way, the homeowner could see on the keypad if the problem was in the
> basement, first or second floor.

In this case I don't have any spare zones, and there are only a few homerun
smokes anyway.  However, it's listed on the keypad and in the file (never
trust the file unless i installed it and wrote it) that there's a zone for
the main floor smokes, and a zone for the basement smokes.  Seems simple
enough, except that there are a few smokes on the main floor that have
resistors in them, but not all of them.

Of course this has to be a busy dentist office with no room to work and no
way to politely be making that much noise testing smokes.  And of course
it's the type of building that seems to be renovated so often that it just
never stops being renovated.  As soon as one project is done, another part
of the building gets rebuilt.

But really... 9 smokes in probably 3000 square feet?  What do dentists have
on hand that's so flammable (other than the helium tank for the balloons)?

- Chris