Re: dsc gs3055-i

On Mar 20, 6:21=EF=BF=BDpm, "A.J." <a_j@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The DSC GSM radio happens to be my favourite backup communicator. Sure al=
> manufacturers have their own pros and cons, and the DSC unit seem to have
> more pros than cons.
>
> What I like about the DSC unit :-
>
> 1. Has backup battery, thus can be mounted in a remote location and will
> still work if the connection between the radio and the main panel is cut.

I'm not sure but I'd think that if that's what  you really wanted, any
backup
radio can be made to do that. Coming built in .... is a plus though.

> 2. Dialer capture sending full contact ID reporting, a big plus for me.

If it's for back up and not the main communicator, it really isn't
that important
to me what it sends, as long as the signal can be identified as burg,
fire or panic.

> 3. Does not need special programmer.

I guess ..... Alarmnet's programer is what?    $125.00?

> 4. Performance is the best among all cell backup units in marginal cell
> coverage area. (Major plus for me)

That wasn't my experience. Kept losing supervision signals every
couple of days
on first unit. Second unit was better. Only lost it every couple of
weeks.

> 5. Heavy duty metal case with standard knockouts on the side.

Yes, much better metal than all their other boxes.

But ........Doesn't the lack of redundancy concern you?

To me ..... the absence of that ..... or I should say, the absence of
DSC TELLING anyone that it isn't redundant and at the least ..... in
the installation instructions,  offering the option of having it send
redundant signals or not  ... is simply an effort on their part to cut
down on the traffic on their network, rather then being concerned with
security.  IT'S A BACK UP DEVICE!!!!. Why wouldn't they at least
MENTION that the device isn't going to send signals on the cellular
network unless the phone line fails?  Jeeeeze .... the phone line
might work for a decade and the Cellular wouldn't be tested ONCE
during all that time, unless someone puposely tested it by removing
the telephone line and causing an alarm. If DSC doesn't tell anyone
that that's the way it works, it's not likely that any technician
going out to work on the system in the future, is ever going to think
to remove the telephone lines to see if the cellular will send a
signal.

Oh well.   as the Italians say ...... Sausage his own.