Re: Newbie questions on alarms

Mike W. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am interested in installing a home alarm system, but like anybody, I
> am uncertain on which company to go with and what to get.  Many web
> sites I've seen seem a little shady, and the company web sites are not
> user friendly at all.  IE: GE, Honeywell.
>
> The one that seems user friendly is the Smarthome SecureLinc alarm,
> though I've read some negative things.  It looks like the majority of
> people go with GE or Honeywell.  Here are my requirements.
>
> 1) I have two dogs, so I believe a PIR/motion sensor is out of the
> question for the house.

Not necessarily.  What size are the dogs?  There are several "pet
immune" detectors on the market.  It's a matter of "positioning" where
they go to minimize the risk of false alarms.

> 2) I have a detached garage that I need monitored.  PIR, window
> sensors, and/or a BMS for the overhead doors and service door is
> possible.

Problem with a wireless PIR in a garage is the lack of heat.  It depends
on what area of the country you're in whether installing a PIR is even
possible.  Window bugs, contacts on the windows and doors shouldn't be
difficult.

> 3) Two keyfobs to arm/disarm the system.

Most security panels are capable of this, however...  "Disarming" may
not be where you want to go.  Consider if someone were to steal your
wife's purse.  They'd have your home address and the means to disarm
your security system.

> 4) I prefer to hardwire the system.  I like the convenience and easy-
> setup of the wireless system, but I'm a little leery about the battery
> life, false positives, and interference.

Modern wireless controls don't present any problems of the nature you're
concerned about when set up properly.  If you want to go "hard wired",
you'll need some specialty bits and other tools to run the wire in the
attic.  It's not something just any "monkey" can do...  :-)

> 5) Prefer to connect it to my LAN for external monitoring.  I like the
> idea of being able to receive email if the alarm goes off, and
> utilizing a camera to see if I should call the police or not.

You start of with #6 by saying that "money isn't an issue".  The cost of
third party monitoring (and the inherent security afforded by modern IP
communicators) would ensure your home is safeguarded (even when your
cell phone is "off" or "out of the service area").

> 6) Money isn't an issue.  I like installing things myself and would
> like to do it myself.  I have some experience in the security field
> and feel confident that I can do this on my own.

Good for you.  I have no problem with helping someone wire their own
home (for security).

> 7) I have 9 windows and two doors on the house.  I have 1 door, 2
> overhead doors, and one (rather large) window in the garage.  I have a
> 1st floor and basement, and I'm able to access the attic in the house.

This isn't sufficient information to provide a proper recommendation.
We'd need to know if the windows are accessible from the ground floor or
if they're second story.  We'd also need to know something about the
layout to properly recommend the best protection for the dollars you
want to spend.

> As I mentioned, I checked out the SecureLinc one and it seems to meet
> all my requirements, but just want to know if there's something else
> out there I should be going with...and where to purchase it.  I prefer
> to also purchase it locally, but don't know where in the Chicago area.
> (South side).

I wouldn't suggest X-10 to be the "be all" and "end all" of wireless
alarms.  Far from it...  It's unsupervised crap.  I'd go with a "hybrid"
system like Ademco's Vista 20 or DSC's "Power" Series.

> Thanks for the help!

You're welcome.  You can explore some helpful tips at
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com.  Good luck!!