3 garden invasions in 6 months

my area seems to be rife with people creeping about gardens
during the night ...i have seen someone in neighbours garden at night
police managed to lose the creep and also i personally have had things
stolen twice during the night /very ealry morning

So , the aim here is to catch the scum in the act ... i dont see cameras
being the answer as they are expensive and having tried them in past
(the cheaper models ) the pictures not great and the softwares crap and
not of it is admissable in court anyway

Couple of security pir lights up but doesnt deter as they go off so many
times
anyways due to foxes and cats

So i need to try and let the police catch the scum in the act , im pretty
sure its the same person going over the same territory every couple
of months

My house is a semi detached and only small fences separate a couple
of the neighbours t moment

I can roughly limit access to my garden to 2 areas ,by adding terellis to
top of fence
and im planning to do this anyways , but im thinking of setting up a sting
type operation
adn leaving two  areas i could monitor remotely

1) ones a wide concrete area about 8ft , driveway ..i have no ideas for this
a ful size will go up here at some point

2) other is  behind garage a hidden area hes been known to use for access
its covered in woodchips and im thinking mmm maybe some kind of pressure
pads ( wireless i cant find ? )

Ideally whatever i use has to simply make a noise in the house , not be set
off
by foxes/cats ? maybe be self powered ? ( batteries) that will last a couple
of weeks
and discrete i dont want the scum to know I know !!! hes there the aim is
to catch the
bam !

Any ideas for kinda cheap foolproof limited area  PEOPLE MONITORING ?

--
No links here , nup