Re: Wire type for peripherals on residential burg/fire panels

On Dec 13, 7:15=A0pm, Effenpig1 <dirtyspicev...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For residential burg I use 18 gauge FPLR to wire keypads,
> transformers, sirens, and of course fire devices ( and CO). I do this
> whether or not the system will include fire devices initially. My
> thought being if I don't and the owner decides on fire protection down
> the line it would be more work.
>
> Curious as to how other installers deal with this. The company I
> worked for before I started my business never used fire wire, even for
> the fire devices themselves.

Let me put it to you this way
One of the side things I do is Fire Investigation for Insurance
companies.
the very first question they ask on form they send for a failure
analysis investigation asks. Does the system meet all codes code at
time it was installed.
2nd question is would system have functioned properly had code been
followed. 3rd question is were proper permits and inspections done.

If I walk in on a system that has failed and find telco or any other
type of wire being used for the smokes and heats etc. that would be a
violation of NEC and NFPA -ICC

You are doing the right thing. absolutely the others are leaving them
selves exposed. and no matter how you write a contract sooner or later
you will get popped and even if you win what it is costing in time and
money will be horrendous.
I got sued because an asshole customer was to lazy to check his system
after it went off and police looked in and saw no one because they
were in a back room breaking into the safe.
Thank God jury saw this case for what it was but it still cost how
many days time and money defending it.