Re: PC Based DVR

On 12/08/2009 7:04 PM, RockyTSquirrel wrote:
> true true
> however  the DVR stand-a-lone  units  tend to have the op sys  on ram  not
> software on disk..
> also  tend to have outboard power supplies which are easier to upgrade or
> replace..
> also  tend to run cooler with less heat related failures..

"Tend tend tend" - it still comes down to the difference between cheap
vs. quality hardware.  Most of those standalones I had with the failing
drives, the drives failed because of poor cooling.  Of all the
standalones I've installed, about half used a "standard" 12VDC power
supply with barrel connector; the other half used proprietary
multi-voltage supplies with DIN connectors, which are NOT easier to
SOURCE; replacement computer power supplies are available at just about
any little computer store, big-box electronics store, office-supply store...

Oh yes, and I've seen PC DVRs with the opsys loaded on internal flash
drives, too.