Re: Just doing business on OPM

news:49f9b1fb$0$48226$815e3792@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> oh no I totally agree, they think because we're small (micro actually)
> that we will be their whipping boys.

I watched a major builder (Toll Brothers) burn out 3 different companies on
one small development (120 homes). The low voltage package was sent out for
bid again and yet another company picked it up. The housing market crashed
so I imagine the 4th company crashed with it. I wonder why our industry
stands in line to be abused. Amazing. When will these mega companies figure
out that almost every bit of technology, in todays world, is tied to low
voltage applications at some point and that the industry needs to be paid to
perform? These companies are masters at figuring out how to stretch you out.
With the best of contracts, you can be stretched out 45 days+ even if
contract payment is set for 30 day pay. Mailing from out of state could put
another 5 days on it. Watch out for pay schedules that require all invoicing
to be in by the 20th of the month for approval so that it can be in the main
office by the 30th. They will hold you off until after the 20th on doing the
work so that you cannot bill until the 20th of the following month. Now you
are out 70 days. Also, I found it necessary to put each billable item on
separate invoice. This way, if an invoice contains an item that is not
approved and is kicked back, approved items will not be held up for payment.
All this is mostly with the residential builders. Larger commerial and
industrial is percentage draws which isn't as bad. The draw isn't on
schedule, the work stops. Much easier.