How to I Setup Security System to Observe backyard?

Someone is vandalizing my back yard - stealing stepping stones,
trampling on plants and breaking things.
The basement of the house is above ground and one side, with windows,
faces the backyard.   I've an older model PTZ Sony camera with several
different video connections        How you you all recommend I record
activity in the backyard?

Sorry for the Google post but Verizon removed all "ALT" groups from
their news server.

Thanks,

.