Re: Computer virus???

RHC: I do not understand why any company needs to use the installer
lockout feature simply to protect the integrity of the information in
the panel. That is what the installer code is for. For all the panels
that I am familiar with anyway, the only other way any other company
can change any of the information in the panel is to hardware default
the whole thing back to factory and start fresh, thereby destroying
all the original information that was put in the panel for programming
purposes. Saying you need to lock the board for that purpose is simply
not correct and in most cases seems to be nothing but a smokescreen to
hide the fact that someone wants to make it as difficult and expensive
as they can for any other company to take away the client.

The installer lockout certainly has a valid use if the panel is
leased, or not fully paid for by the client up front. But once the
client owns the board fully, no company has a right to lock the board
- period ! And if they have done so in the past, it is their
responsibility to "make things right" by unlocking the board. Not
doing so is tantamount to selling someone a car and putting a padlock
on the hood so it can never be serviced by anyone other than the
original seller !! The problem of course is with so many small
companies going in and out of business, by the time the client finds
out his board is locked, the previous company is no longer around....

But the fact that I unlock so many boards that have been locked by so
many companies that have moved on, is an indicator to me that this
feature IS misused by many companies. So I say, full speed ahead with
the lawsuit; maybe it will make a few unscrupulous companies think a
little harder before they automatically lock boards with little
thought about future use by the rightful owner of the board !!