Re: Entering a new phone number on an ADT system

On Mar 31, 2:23 pm, dwguy <david....@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 1:30 pm, "Spudz" <s...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > "dwguy" <david....@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > > My contract expired with ADT and I now own the system that is
> > > installed on the property. Rather than pay them $30+ per month to
> > > monitor it, I want to reprogram the system to call my cell phone as I
> > > am more or less always 20 min. from the property. Essentially I want
> > > to monitor it myself. How can I access the programming mode and enter
> > > my phone number instaed of the old ADT call center number, etc?
>
> > > Thanks...
>
> > call ADT and see if they will program it for you for a small fee.
>
> The last thing I want to do is deal with ADT again. That's the reason
> I want to monitor it myself. I wouldn't want them to have access to
> the system anyway. All I want to do is punch in a new phone number
> from the panel, so that it calls me; not their CS - with which I no
> longer have a contract anyway. Thanks...

Yeah, I can't say I blame you not wanting to ever deal with ADT again.
However, one easy way you can do this is to put a "remote dialer
assembly" in the middle between the panel and the phone line. Most
panels won't communicate very well (if at all ) with a cellphone due
to the formats they use.

What happens is the output of the alarm siren  triggers the remote
dialer assembly which then picks up the phone and dials your cell
phone number and gives out your prerecorded message. They will often
call up to four separate numbers in the often likely case your cell is
out of reach at that time. I suggest you do a google search and you
should be able to find equipment of this sort.

Another far better arrangement would be to find reputable monitoring
at one of the discount places for $10 or so. Even their bare bones
monitoring is 1000% better than what you call "self monitoring" which
has so many potential problems as to be only slightly better than
useless. They can also assist with reprogramming your existing panel.

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
www.homemetal.com