Re: ELK-Guard wireless GSM alarm system

"G Mck" wrote:

> Thats just a rebadged Ness product from Australia...

That's right.  ELK said that it was developed by an Austraiian firm.  I didn't
ask which one but I'm sure you're right.

> They are improved now, and may be suitable for certain applications , but
> all the ones I have ever seen installed have been ripped out and thrown
> away.  They were usually mounted in the corner of the lounge, with an ugly
> sattelite siren directly outside (only one hole to drill).

I can't imagine using these as primary protection for a completed residence
(big, ugly and not as secure as a conventional system).  However, for
constructions sites / trailers, moored boats, etc., they do provide a means of
offering monitored protection.  I can see companies installing them and
prewiring for the main system, then removing the ELK Guard when the job is
finished.

Another use is for families / businesses that have just suffered a loss.
We've all had to deal with competitors who offer totally inadequate protection
at inflated prices but can sometimes win the sale because they offered
*immediate* protection.  A salesman could bring one of these, a few door
contacts and motion detectors with him, sell the client a full-blown,
professional system and offer to install temporary protection on the spot as a
stop-gap until the team can be scheduled for a proper job.  In that situation
the control could even be pre-programmed with a kit consisting of two or three
motion detectors, a couple of smokes and a dozen or so door/window contacts.
Install the main unit in a secure closet, lick'n'stick the wireless
transmitters, hand the client a pair of wireless keyfobs and they're covered
until the installation is finished.  Once they're up and running pull the
temporary system out and it's ready for the next new customer.  Even if you
never sell one you can use it to sell a hundred proper systems that might
otherwise go to a competitor.

Again, it's not an earth shattering product.  But it can be a very useful
tool.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass