Re: question about burglar alarm dispute (San Francisco Bay Area)

> Putting the account on run away won't stop the panel making a toll >call
to the CS, and since it wasn't calling a toll free number its >possible or
even  likely that the caller ID was blocked as many >residence's block
caller ID,  so what's the alarm company to do?  >block all unidentified
incoming calls  from their receivers?

Central stations are in business to make money. They seldom turn down a
chance to bill more. The central stations I know of will begin to bill you
out the ass if your account goes into run away. They have developed a way to
identify an account that has caller ID blocked so they can be certain to
bill you. Therefore, once notified of a run away, you need to get a hold of
the offending account one way or another and stop the signal (and the bill)
from coming in. (Even if you have to dispatch a truck and disconnect it at
the protector. ) That whole process should take a few hours at most, not a
day.

>Wasn't it you that threw a strop when you claimed a CS
>stopped signals from one of your accounts?

Not exactly. They called up the panel, removed the central station phone
number and the account number and that stopped the monitoring altogether.
They didn't notify anyone and they continued to bill for the account. The
"strop" came when that account had a break in.

> Who knows what caused the problem, the customer may have >added something
to their phone service such as DSL, the alarm >panel may have simply
developed a fault or the CS may have done >something to cause the problem.

It doesn't matter whose fault it was or wasn't. The signal could have and
should have been stopped. The billing for service call could have been done
after the full facts were know.