Re: To the friendly folks at BOINKS

On Mar 2, 12:49=EF=BF=BDpm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I quit working for general contractors last year. =EF=BF=BDI almost got ro=
ped into a
> project recently. =EF=BF=BDI was told by the developer I would be working =
directly
> for him, and then at the first contractor's meeting with the general in
> charge of the project I was told the general would control all the purse
> strings, and authorize all payments. =EF=BF=BDAdd on huge liquidated damag=
es, the
> fact that this contractor has put atleast a couple good quality specialtie=
> out of business in the past, and I was very skeptical. =EF=BF=BDWhen the m=
ain dude
> for the general at the first specialty orientation meeting then proceeded =
> proudly tell a room full of specialty contractors that the job of a genera=
> contractor was to take the low bidder and make them perform like the high
> bidder I walked out.
>
> It would have the biggest job I've ever done.
>
> I learned my lesson. =EF=BF=BDDoesn't matter how profitable a job is if th=
e general
> can screw you out of the profits, and even take away your ability to pay
> expenses.

I haven't worked for a GC or a builder in years and wont ever again. I
had my fill of the lies and price "re-negotiations" after the work is
completed. That's the "trick" used around here. Towards the end of my
dealings I was no longer giving "builder discounts" I was getting 1/2
of the entire job up front for the prewire. Half of the balance upon
start up of the final. And even then got screwed out of the last
payment (although I'd already been paid for the job, out of the
previous payments.) It's not that I wasn't making the money it's just
that I don't want the hassel of wondering where I'm going to be
screwed next, waiting forever to get paid, when I can deal directly
with the homeowner who pays up front. Looking back I can't even think
of why I thought that doing business with builders and GC's was even
inviting. Something about  the possibility of growing the company
faster or something, I guess. It's for the big companys, in my
opinion. It's seems that it's just a rule of thumb for the builders.
Get the little guys involved and promise them the world, then screw
them because they're too small and don't have the resouces to persue
you for compensation.