Re: 12 vdc

 >Last time I took  physics they didn't teach DC circuit analysis.

Really? Were you awake the whole time? I think you missed a big part of the
class.
Here is the class I took where I learned DC circuit analysis (AC too for
that matter). The professor was so old school he taught using the old way of
electron flow from positive to negative, instead of negative to positive (he
knew the difference, it was just easier to teach it the way he learned it)
1420 (PHYS 1402) General Physics II. (3-2) This is the second course in a
two semester sequence which is a survey of the basic laws and principles of
physics and includes the topics of waves, electricity and magnetism, and
light. PHYS 1410 and 1420 are designed for those students whose program
requires technical physics but who are not pre-engineering students or
majors or minors in physics. Prerequisites: PHYS 1410; MATH 1315 with a
grade of "C" or higher. MATH 1317 is recommended.

And here are some of the machines they use today. (The ones they had back
then weren't that good.)
http://www.txstate.edu/physics/equipment/electrical.html