Re: 12 vdc

Just Looking wrote:

> >Last time I took  physics they didn't teach DC circuit analysis.
>
>Really? Were you awake the whole time? I think you missed a big part of the
>class.

Nope, I did very well in physics, I found it fascinating.

>Here is the class I took where I learned DC circuit analysis (AC too for
>that matter). The professor was so old school he taught using the old way of
>electron flow from positive to negative, instead of negative to positive (he
>knew the difference, it was just easier to teach it the way he learned it)
>1420 (PHYS 1402) General Physics II. (3-2) This is the second course in a
>two semester sequence which is a survey of the basic laws and principles of
>physics and includes the topics of waves, electricity and magnetism, and
>light. PHYS 1410 and 1420 are designed for those students whose program
>requires technical physics but who are not pre-engineering students or
>majors or minors in physics. Prerequisites: PHYS 1410; MATH 1315 with a
>grade of "C" or higher. MATH 1317 is recommended.

You didn't learn DC or AC circuit analysis in the course you quoted below
because it is a PHYSICS course.  Sure you may have gotten the theory of
electron flow there -- but not in-depth circuit analysis...

1420 (PHYS 1402) General Physics II. (3-2) This is the second course in a two
semester sequence which is a survey of the basic laws and principles of
physics and includes the topics of waves, electricity and magnetism, and
light. PHYS 1410 and 1420 are designed for those students whose program
requires technical physics but who are not pre-engineering students or majors
or minors in physics. Prerequisites: PHYS 1410; MATH 1315 with a grade of "C"
or higher. MATH 1317 is recommended.

Now *this* would be a little closer:

2425 (PHYS 2426) Electricity and Magnetism. (3-3) A study of the field of
electricity and magnetism for physics majors and minors. PHYS 1430, 2425 and
2435 are designed for students majoring in physics and for pre-engineering
students. Credit in both Physics 1420 and Phys 2425 cannot be given.
Prerequisites: Phys 1430. Corequisites: Math 2472.

But *here* is the course that would have taught any usable circuit design:

3416 Applied Electronics. (3-4) Laboratory/lecture course introducing
electronic test bench methods for the construction, operation and analysis of
important DC/AC circuits utilizing resistors, capacitors, diodes, BJT's,
FET's, OpAmps, and analog/digital ICs. The behavior of the circuits will be
modeled in SPice, Elementary semiconductor device physics and microfabrication
methods will be discussed. Prerequisite: PHYS 2435.

http://www.txstate.edu/physics/underpc.html

--

-G