Re: home alarm system?

"JoeRaisin" <joeraisin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Ks47k.1$uA5.0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> dallasalarm wrote:
>> Where can I find the master code for my home alarm system (DCS-1500)?
>>
>> I recently purchased a rental property that has a home security
>> system. I want to activate the system but I don?t know the pass code.
>> Isn't there a master programming code that I can use to reset the
>> whole thing?
>> Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com
>
> Unless someone from the company that installed the system is on this forum,
> there is no way anyone here can know that info.  Any decent installer will
> have changed the defaults.
>
> Besides, without knowing what you are doing, jumping into programming
> without a guide could get you a system that is worse than useless.
>
> See if there are any stickers on the panel, possibly on any of the doors or
> windows or maybe a yard sign with the name and number of the servicing
> company.  If you can get in touch with the previous owners maybe they can
> tell you who to call.
>
> If not, check out the local operators (try to avoid the nationals) with the
> BBB and and give one of those guys a call.
>
> It won't be free and I'm sure they will try to get you on board with
> monitoring.  But you should actually check out how much the monitoring is
> against how much it may save you on homeowners insurance - you may find it
> isn't that expensive in the long run.
>
> A monitored fire system, along with low temperature sensing (in certain
> areas - check local listings) and strategically placed water detector (water
> damage is a real mother and insurance companies will usually do whatever
> they can to avoid paying for it) or two, in a house that will be used by
> tenets who may not care about the property as much as you do, could be just
> what you need for piece of mind and perhaps a cut on the insurance (I get
> 15% from my company).

Joe's advice is correct.  However, most local (and virtually all national)
alarm companies will decline to work on the system unless you sign a
multi-year monitoring contract.  The terms and prices vary wildly from one
provider to the next fir essentially similar services so shop around a bit.

Regarding breaks in homeowner's insurance, the discount is usually nn% of the
burglary or fire coverage -- not the whole package.  For example, our
homeowner's policy costs around $8,000 a year.  The 10% discount for an alarm
system isn't 10% of $8,000.  It's 10% of $800, or $80.  Monitoring by any of
the local outfits around Sarasota would run about $300 a year.  A colleague,
www.911Alarm.com, charges $12 a month.  Net cost is $64 per year.

One thing you need to be especially careful about if you have an alarm company
service and/or monitor the system for you is that pesky lockout code (the same
one you're having trouble with at present).  Most alarm companies use them to
make it more difficult / costly for customers to switch service providers.
Some will give you the code or default it for you for a price once you pay for
nn years of monitoring.  Others won't give you the code, even to equipment
which you own, no matter what you do.

If you like to tinker you might want to consider buying a control panel and
doing the job yourself.  It's not particularly difficult though you'll need a
modicum of tool skills and a bit of patience to get the hang of it.  If that's
not your idea of a fun way to spend a Saturday, take Joe's advice and check
out a few local alarm dealers.  Ask neighbors who they use and how they like
the service.  Either way, best of luck.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass