Re: home alarm system?

dallasalarm wrote:
> Where can I find the master code for my home alarm system (DCS-1500)?
>
> I recently purchased a rental property that has a home security
> system. I want to activate the system but I don?t know the pass code.
> Isn't there a master programming code that I can use to reset the
> whole thing?
> Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com

There is a method of defaulting the board, but you'll have to reprogram
it from scratch and you haven't indicated as to whether you have the
programming manual or not.  First you have to find out if the board has
been "locked".  Disconnect the battery and AC transformer (in that
order).  Wait for 30 seconds and reconnect the AC.  If you hear a series
of "clicks" from the onboard relay, the board is locked and the only way
to access programming is by knowing the installer code.  If the relay
doesn't click multiple times, you can default the board.  The procedure
is in the installation manual which you will need to reprogram the
system anyway.

The 1500 is ancient technology.  You should consider upgrading to a
newer system.  Stick with DSC if you're considering the DIY route.  It's
one of the easiest panels to program.  Find a friendly local alarm
company that's willing to sell you a DSC 1832.  You'll need new keypads
as well.  You can browse DSC's website at http://www.dsc.com.  You can
also purchase the system from any of a number of online stores and
dealers.  http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/buyingonline.htm has some
valuable tips and a couple of links to online dealers.

Good luck!!!