Re: Help with Ademco Vista 50P

"TDM" wrote:

> Well, against my better judgment, I will chime in here.  I did not
> find Compass that hard to use, except for my stupidity in what
> download and upload mean, at least when using Compass...

That wasn't stupidity -- just lack of knowledge.  Every time one of
my customers gets alarm software I warn them that "upload" and
"download" in the alarm world mean the opposite of what they seem.

> It is farily simple and striaght forward to use, but a bit quirky
> when editing alpha values.  I am a DIY and I set up my Vista 50P
> initially from an alpha keypad...

Shh.  These guys think it can't be done by anyone who isn't paid to
do so.

> As I look back on that task (14 years ago), I wonder how I ever
> accomplished that on my own, but I did...

The connections are fairly simple stuff.  Everything is 2 or 4
conductor cable and the terminals are clearly marked.  Where many
people stumble is in the programming.  At least that's what generates
most of our tech support calls.  People want to know what a "follower
zone" is or why there are two entry delays.

> I first got Compass to be able to program the panel for X10
> devices.  I did an initial upload of the customer data back in 97
> or so, then never went any further until yesterday.

Most of our DIY clients program their Honeywell Vista systems by
keypad.  That, too, is a bit quirky but once you get the gist of it
the process is simple enough.  BTW, you bought one of Ademco's more
advanced panels.  Most DIY installers use the Vista-20P-60KT3.
That's a kit with the Vista-20P, a 6160 keypad and accessories.  I
sell more of the Vista-20P than any other alarm panel.

> My version is 1.5.8.44, and I am sure that it is way out of date. I
> notice it is written in Visual Basic, and the 16bit version as well
> which is very old. It locked up on me several times, to the point
> where I had to use the power switch to get my PC back to life. So,
> is  there still a place where a DIY can get the latest version of
> this software ? I see that Ademco is now Honeywell, and the support
> link for obtaining Compass from Ademco is no longer valid.

Contact me if you want the current software.  It's still free.

> And for the record, I did graduate from high shcool.

Uh-oh, you're over-qualified for the job.  Sorry.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics