Re: More alarm questions.

JediSpork@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello. I wanted to thank everyone that responded to my original post
> (Alarm questions indoor/outdoor stuff)
>
> I had a few more questions. When I enter new sensors there is a prompt
> for a report code. I'm assuming this is some kind of special code for
> the monitoring station? Maybe I over looked something in the manual
> for my Lynx system. Could someone please explain this to me.
>
> I'm already doing the external siren but was wondering if it would be
> a good idea to also run a external speaker? I thought about just
> shutting the speaker off to make the alarm harder to find but I do
> like to hear the needed voice prompts.
>
> What is the best way to put sensors on windows? I have a new home with
> double hung windows. It looks like the only place a sensor would fit
> is if I glued the receiver onto the movable part of the window and the
> magnet on the side but then it would be slightly visible.  I'm not
> even sure if there would be much point to this as someone could just
> break the window (decided against glass breaks) and take the sensor
> off anyway.
>
> I also decided against key fob use. After trying one out I worry I
> might shut the alarm off on accident after I go out the door so I'm
> just going to stay with the portable keypads.
>
> My next question is about glass breaks. I had originally planed to put
> them in every room. When I check out topics about them its always just
> a big argument on if they should be used or not.
>
> My glass patio door is in the kitchen which is also close to where one
> of my stereo speakers sits. If I start telling my girlfriend she can't
> do the dishes and things like that while the alarm is on its not going
> to get used when I'm not home. I don't want to be restricted on what
> movies I watch etc.
>
> Some posts say to use them only when you are not home. I live by a
> airport and at times the whole house will rattle. The same during
> thunderstorms. I don't want to be away from home and worry a
> thunderstorm might trip my alarm.
>
> I think I'm going to send back the glass breaks even though I wish
> they would work for me. The system feels incomplete without them.
>
> What are my alternatives? motion detectors in every room? I have a 32
> pound dog and not sure if I would trust the cheaper wireless ademco
> motion sensor. The 80 pound resistant sensor is something like 120
> bucks.
>
> So it looks like I might just have to buy a separate power supply with
> backup and hardwire some motions. But then I will still need the 5816
> transmitter.  I'm starting to wish I had gone with one of the better
> panels.
>
> thanks for reading

Your last paragraph may tell the tale.  It sounds like you are shooting
for a steak dinner but have only purchased hamburger.

Your panel is okay for temporary or portable applications (I gave one to
my niece when she went away to college) but there comes a time when you
stop throwing good money after bad.  Use what you got until you can save
up enough for a Vista 20 or First Alert FA168 (same technology as yours
so the wireless you have will be compatible) and in the meantime get
some education on fishing wires and other concealment techniques and run
as much wire as you can in preparation for the final permanent system.

As for the glass breaks, there are sensitivity adjustments you can make
that 'might' help with the airplane noise.  I always program any GB's
near a kitchen or such as an interior zone so it won't be active when
you are home, I'm not sure if the Lynx will do 'night stay' but if it
does you can program that zone to be active when you go to bed.